God's Work...Our Hands
God's Work Our Hands is a fall Churchwide (national) serve event of the ELCA. It is an opportunity to celebrate who we are as the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: one church, freed in Christ, to serve and love our neighbor. All across the country, on one designated day, Lutherans serve while getting to know each other as they work side by side.
First Lutheran has participated in God's Work Our Hands since 2012 and our collective effort has made a difference in the lives of hundreds. On September 11, 2016, almost 150, representing the youngest to the oldest, joined with thousands of ELCA members nationwide to serve because serving is what we do! There were so many different, and important, service projects completed throughout the afternoon. Here are some of the projects we assisted with:
• Police & Firefighters - Made "Thank You Bags" for and delivered to our neighborhood police officers and fire fighters
• Outdoor Classroom at First Lutheran - Laid a brick patio
• Visited First Lutheran homebound members
• Carol Joy Holling Camp (near Ashland) - Cut firewood
• Food Net – Assisted with food distribution
• Germans from Russia – Yard work
• Lincoln Community Playhouse – Yard work
• F Street Community Center – General cleaning and yard work
• Center for the Prevention of Homelessness / People's City Mission Center – Sorted donations
• MS Support Group – Yard work and other projects at a home
• Lutheran World Relief Quilts – Sorted and cut fabric and tied quilts
• Magic Wand Project – Made kindness wands
• Matt Talbot Kitchen - Prepared snack packs with a pair of new socks, granola bars and bottle of water
• People's City Mission – Prepared sack lunches for homeless people
• Sorted donations from First Lutheran members for Bridges to Hope, Fresh Start, Lutheran Food Pantry, People's City Mission and Lutheran World Relief School Kits
Click on the image to view photos of our day of service!
Click on the image to watch a video compilation of God's Work. Our Hands Sunday!