One hundred fifty two years ago on February 23, 1870, an attempt to establish a church “society” took place. Not much is known about that meeting except that it was called for the purpose of organizing the group into a body corporate. It was decided that the church should incorporate under the name “First Lutheran Scandinavian Church of Lincoln.” Apparently, the organization was short-lived as there is no further mention of its existence or of any activity. However, it appears to be where we began – one of the first efforts to establish a Lutheran Society or Church in Lincoln, Nebraska.
In 1870 Lincoln was a four year old village of 2500 people. It was in December of that year a second meeting of Lincoln Lutherans was chaired by Rev. S.G. Larson, a pioneer pastor of the Swedish Lutheran Church in Nebraska. The group immediately moved to affiliate with the Augustana Synod. The congregation numbered fifteen members – one married couple and thirteen single persons.
To the determination of this little congregation, we owe not only our gratitude, but our very existence today. It must have required uncommon courage, and above all, a vigorous faith to nurture a struggling little church through the difficulties of a pioneer economy in a frontier social setting. Fortunately, the group persevered.
Today, we take stock of where we are and where we have been. We acknowledge God’s faithfulness, breathing life into our ministries, and all our brothers and sisters who responded to this faithfulness by carrying out the business that God has given us over the past 150 years.
Thanks be to God!